- Why Use a Paddleboard For Fishing?
- How to Pick the Right Board To Fish With
- Our Top Best SUP’s For Fishing
- #1: Atoll 11’0″ Foot Inflatable Stand up Paddle Board
- #2: SereneLife Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
- #3: Tower Paddle Boards iSUP Package “Adventurer 2”
- #4: ISLE 11′ Airtech Inflatable Explorer Stand Up Paddle Board
- #5: Imagine Surf V2 Wizard Angler SUP Stand Up Fishing Paddle Board
For the majority of folks, a canoe or boat is the standard when going fishing. However, a new kind of fishing has been emerging slowly, and it is the use of paddleboards – not really new, in fact, it is traditional. Paddleboard fishing has been picking up trend as it is more exciting and way cooler than the typical boat fishing – who needs to go with the flow anyway?
Paddleboards are more comfortable to transport and use when you finally get the hang of it – of course, you will need to learn how to balance it. In the previous article we reviewed the best paddle boards, in this article we will take a look at the best boards for fishing.
Why Use a Paddleboard For Fishing?
Apart from being easy to transport, paddleboards are quite affordable. Their price is, however, comparable with canoes and kayaks. A paddleboard allows you to get to those tight spots where others have not ventured – this can lead you to uncover a rich fishing spot.
Paddleboards also give you stealth when you are on your fishing expedition. They are quieter than the boats or kayaks, and so you can sneak up on the fish quickly. And since you use these paddleboards standing, you can get a better view of the water and fish. There are various paddle board techniques we discussed too, so you may want to check that out.
How to Pick the Right Board To Fish With
Now that you know paddleboards are good for fishing, the next hurdle you need jump is how to go about selecting the best board. Depending on your needs, the following factors will prove critical in picking the right board to be your perfect companion in fishing.
- The types: there are different types of paddleboards, and you should choose the best one according to skill level and preference. For novices, the all-round boards will provide the necessary stability to accommodate their imperfect balancing.The surfboards are for the intermediate and experienced user. They are for the people on the lookout for more adventure and activity. However, these devices are easier to fall off.There are fishing boards specifically designed for fishing only – this is what you should be going for you are serious about fishing.
- The volume: you can think of volume in terms of width, length, and thickness. As a matter of fact, the bigger the volume, the more stable the board. Beginners will need more volume while those that have developed skill levels are good with less volume for better maneuverability.
- Inflatable/ Non-inflatable: the next important factor you need to figure out is whether you are better off with an epoxy or inflatable paddle. Well, first you will need to determine the differences between the two before anything.In terms of performance, epoxy boards are far much better than the inflatable. They have better speed, maneuverability, and glide. However, inflatable, as you may imagine, are quite easy to transport – not like their counterpart, the epoxy boards. In fact, they can deflate and pack up like a sleeping bag – how convenient!Epoxy boards are the cumbersome kind and require you have some space on your car for transportation. The same applies to storage.
Our Top Best SUP’s For Fishing
As an individual interested in fishing using a paddleboard, you need something sturdy and lightweight. This paddleboard has a dual layer of PVC and black aluminum alloy for extra strength. It is inflatable and so moving from one fishing spot to the other will be a breeze. The product comes with everything that you might need such as a hand pump, repair kit, and backpack.
And 32 inches wide, 6 inches thick and 11 feet long, the paddleboard has adequate volume to ensure stability.
- Sturdy construction
- Lightweight and portable
- A good quality backpack
- Comes with all the necessary accessories
- Adequate volume
- Inflating it is sure some workout
A standup paddle for fishing should have sufficient space to stand on and place your bucket for the fish. At 30 inches, this paddleboard is wide enough for the activity. And to ensure superior maneuverability to reach those tight fishing spots, it has triple fins. It is easy to use that even the kids can operate it.
- Wide enough for a fishing bucket
- Easy to use for any level of user
- The top deck has a non-slip layer
- Inflating is an uphill task
- Some issues with the pump reported
This is one durable paddleboard as it is made from military-grade PVC – this is necessary as you will mostly be working in the water. It is also a rigid board that feels like an epoxy. Its weight capacity of 350lbs is also quite favorable. The SUP is 6 inches thick, and so your feet can remain dry as you fish.
- Durable paddleboard – military-grade PVC
- Rigid board
- A decent weight capacity
- 6 inches wide for stability and dry feet
- The paddle may sink
- Not very easy to use
This is one board that is pretty easy to use based on capacity and ergonomic design. If you are an adventurer, then you are in good hands with this item. Its maneuverability is top grade and its durability pretty high. The board is also appealing and so using it among other people will not be a challenge – you will actually be confident.
- Durable construction
- Inflatable and hence easy to carry around
- Has great maneuverability
- An appealing board
- The quality of the board could be better – easily cracks along the folds
- Inflating it is quite some work
This is one paddle specially designed for fishing – some people are quite specific about what they want. It comes with two-rod holders, fishing mount, and paddle clips. There are also storage hatches for the fish – how convenient. It is made from blow-molded polythene making it extra durable. The board also has a flip-up seat that makes your paddling easier.
- Designed for paddleboard fishing
- Storage space for the fish
- Easy to use
- Durable construction
- A flip-up seat
- The board is a bit heavy and thick
- Not for use in salt water
There are several advantages associated with paddleboard fishing, and so it is always necessary to get the best. Mostly, the best fishing board is portable, durable and easy to maneuver on water. Atoll 11’0″ Foot Inflatable Stand up Paddle Board achieves all these and has the right volume for good stability. As a matter of fact, this board can easily qualify as an all-round board that you can also use for leisure activities.